Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thailand Day 3

Nikki went to Chiang Mai University yesterday to work with kids in the "American Corner." These are students that want to learn more about the US, so Nikki was there to answer questions about what American life is like. She also got to judge their essay contest on the topic of "what does American liberty mean to you." Interesting.

Meanwhile, I went outside of the city about 45 min to do some rock climbing. I got super lucky and had a guide (June) and driver (Em) all to myself. June and Em were super nice and I had a great time hanging out with them. They were also willing to deal with the fact that it's been a while since I've been rock climbing. As June kept telling me - "very strong, but no technique." The place we went, "crazy horse," and was a limestone formation with a bunch of different climbing options. It was pretty buggy out there, so Em lit fires at the base of each climb to keep the mosquitoes away. Started to morning out with three climbs, where June climbed up first and set the line, then I followed. In the afternoon, I got to top climb, which meant setting my own line and trying to not fall too far from my last carabiner. Got to to three more climbs line that in the afternoon, with a couple of hairy sections where I really had to concentrate and force my body upwards. No broken bones, so I'm calling it a success!

When I got back, Nikki and I dressed up for an (exclusive) 4th of July event at the consulate. Nikki and I both got to wear our newly made Thai clothes. It was pouring rain when we left, so we jumped in a tuk tuk (little three wheel taxi thing) for the quick trip over. The event was exactly like a real life James Bond movie, with random people of importance from the area schmoozing, drinking, and eating. Got to meet a bunch of Nikki's co-workers, including her boss, who were all very nice and welcoming. Definitely an interesting preview into the social life ahead!



















3 comments:

Unknown said...

Check out that new suit! Evan, you now own a garment fine enough to be married in -- though I was honestly hoping you were gonna rock the old "Arm The Homeless" T-shirt in August.

Unknown said...

Great adventures!!! I like the Thai mountain climber's words to you!!
Whoopee, you and Nik actually look fantastic.. like dress up when you were a kid, Nik!
love mom

Jeff said...

Wow, incredible adventures! I want chocolate-banana roti so badly. I don't know about maggots but if you recommend them... Will leave for Bangkok tomorrow morning (from Honolulu) and arrive there late Tuesday night. I am practicing saying "mai pet" (not spicy) and "mai e.coli" too.