Monday, June 7, 2010

Rocky Gap Triathlon and B-more

I completed my first triathlon this weekend - woo! Good news is that I finished despite being totally out of shape. Bad news is that I crashed my bike right at the end of the ride. I was super-confident going up this hill and was flying down the other side in the rain and didn't quite think ahead enough to slow down on a 90 degree right turn. I skidded on my hip across the intersection and was thankfully not too hurt, though my hip was jacked and spasming after that (and the bike ain't too pretty either). The race was near Cumberland, MD, which is absolutely beautiful - mountains, farms, horses, lakes, etc. Nikki was my coach/#1 fan/medic and made sure I didn't die. It was tons of fun and I'm hoping to do another one before we leave for Vietnam (might even get Nikki in one too!). I put my splits below if anyone is interested (plenty of room to improve).

Nikki has a big test on Wednesday, so had to catch up on work Sunday. While she hit to books, I recovered by going to the Orioles/Sox game in Baltimore with our friends, JP and Christy. It was a perfect way to spend a Saturday, even though it rained a bit and the Sox lost. I'm always amazed how extensive Red Sox Nation is - there were definitely more Boston fans in the stadium than home team supporters. We finished up the trip with an awesome crab dinner near Fells Point and some Natty Bo's before jumping in the car to drive home.

One more weekend down and 12 to go. We're heading up to NYC next weekend to see my cousins Stan, Val, and Chris - yay!

Here's my race times for those interested:

Total Time - 2:25:06
Swim (1.5k) - 29:41 = 1:59/100m
Bike (35.5k) - 1:09:39 = 19 mph
Run (10k) - 43:03 = 6:57/mile
Swim/Bike Transition = 1:44
Bike/Run Transition = 1:01
Full results are here (scroll down to June 5):
http://www.wmtiming.com/2010race.html

No comments: