Wednesday, August 11, 2010

10 Year High School Reunion

Whew! I think I'm finally caught up on our blogging. It's August now (crazy how fast the summer has gone by!) and we've only got 3 weekends left before we start our move to Vietnam (which will take 2 weeks, with stops in SF and Maui). Last weekend I headed to San Diego for my 10 year west hills high school reunion. Nikki really wanted to be able to make it, but given she has to pass her Vietnamese language test in a couple weeks (and she has way less time than any of her classmates), we just couldn't make it happen.

I headed off on Friday night and had an awesome plane flight. On my first flight, it turned out they were serving free drinks as a promotion, so I had fun drinking cocktails and chatting with a couple of really interesting people next to me. On my second leg (from Chicago to SD), I got a free upgrade to first class! Needless to say, I loved sipping on more free drinks in my comfy seat and watching the new Disney Oceans movie. I got to catch up with my parents a bit on Friday night (it's been a long time!) and see some friends afterwards in North Park - Madhu, Keshav, David, etc.

The event didn't start until 7:30 on Saturday, so I spent the morning with my parents. We had a ton of fun and I'm really glad that we could make it happen. We took a mountain bike ride out in east county out past Jamul with gorgeous views of the unique chaparral, granite-boulder topped mountains out that way. Turns out my parents are keeping in great shape mountain-biking around the county! After an unsuccessful attempt to get into a restaurant dominated by bikers in Barrett's Junction, we got sandwiches and enjoyed them on the back porch at home. The old house is looking great and my parents have done a fantastic job of putting in some cool desert plants (I like the kangaroo paws the best!). I took a quick spin on the motorcycle that Nikki and I are keeping at my parents house and we went out to coffee before I headed out to the reunion.

I met up with my buddies Nick, Tanner, Madhu, and Keshav to catch up before heading to the Catamaran in PB for the event. While I wish more people had attended, I had a really great time catching up with everyone!! It's just so interesting to see what people are doing after 10 yrs. We stayed out super late and Keshav dropped me at the airport at 3AM so I could catch my early-morning flight back to DC (you're the man Keshav!). The trip was only a little more that 24 hrs, but it felt totally worthwhile to get back home however briefly before we head to southeast asia.

Well, we've only got 3 weekends left and are keeping super busy!!! Before long, we'll be in Ho Chi Minh City setting in for our 2 yr stay...

No comments: