Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Run for the Gulf 5K and Jack Johnson

With 7 weekends to go, Nikki and I took a little bit of a "break" and stuck around DC.

We had signed up for a 5k right near our house on Friday night which was organized to raise money for the oil disaster in the Gulf. Nikki did approximately 2.5 runs to prepare herself for the race and did fantastic, especially since it was crazy-hot and humid that evening. I think this could be the start of a new trend! I ended up winning the race in 16:18, which I felt pretty good about considering how long it's been since I've done competitive running (and the fact that I did a 13 mile run that morning!). Race results are here: http://www.runpacers.com/raceresults/run_for_gulf_10/index.asp, though apparently Nikki's timing chip didn't work (bummer!). There are also some pictures online at:
http://runforthegulf5k.shutterfly.com/pictures/36#20
http://runforthegulf5k.shutterfly.com/pictures/36#36
We celebrated with a great meal at Cashions Eat Place in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC - nothing like good food after a race!

Saturday I recovered by taking a fun long bike ride with my buddy Virgile and Nikki and I hit up Costco to pick up supplies for our impending move to Vietnam. In the evening continued supporting environmental-causes-via-fun-events by going to a Jack Johnson concert as part of his To the Sea CD release tour. It was at the Merriweather Post Pavilion, which is outside with a big grassy lawn and space around the edge for food and booths where Jack had invited environmental organizations to set up - great idea! Jack played with ALO and G-Love and all three were really great - it was a super-fun evening!!

No comments: